Friday, January 25, 2013

Medicine and Healing in Fantasy

I don't know about everyone else, but I had a bit of a rough week. First off, I developed a nasty sort of infection so that I could barely move my arm. Then, I needed surgery to remove the infection, and not just any surgery, but the whole anesthetized enchilada. Since then, I've had to go back to the doctor's almost every day for poking and prodding -- also known as "healing."

Now, as a writer, there's a definite silver lining to this otherwise-unfortunate circumstance. That is to say, if I ever need to write a character who develops an infection and has to have surgery or is anesthetized, then I'll know what it's like! And, what's more, it got me thinking about medicine and healing in fantasy. So let's explore that topic in today's blog post.

Fantasy stories are by their very nature dangerous. Whether your hero battles a fire-breathing dragon or your heroine takes up swordfighting, the chances are quite high that one of your characters will be injured in the course of your story. (If no one gets injured in your entire story, well, maybe now's your chance to re-think your strategy.) What, then, is your poor bleeding character to do? Below, I'll explore several options for types of medicine and healing that you could use in your story.

1. Herbal Lore 
Pros: This is really the quintessential fantasy healing method. For example, in Lord of the Rings, Aragorn's athelas or kingsfoil plant brings healing to people who have been hurt by the Nazgul. It can be quite effective in medieval-style fantasies in particular.

Cons: On the other hand, it seems to me that so many fantasy stories abound with strange herbs with interesting properties. If you are going to use herbal remedies, then make them unique somehow. Beautiful flowers, meaningful symbolism, deceptive appearance--the options are almost unlimited. Another thing to keep in mind is that it takes quite a lot of knowledge and training and skill to find and administer herbal cures. In other words, don't let just anyone plaster plants on your characters!

2. Magical Healing 
Pros: Again, this is a method of healing that feels quite natural in most fantasy stories. Plus, in some cases, you may have situations where characters aren't affected by regular diseases or wounds but rather by dark and evil forces at work. In such situations, magical healing may be the only cure. Remember Radagast the Brown in the Hobbit, when he heals that tiny and absolutely adorable hedgehog Sebastian? That's a situation in which magical healing works wonderfully.

Cons: Magical healing can't be a cure-all for any problem. Even in a magical and fantastic world, there needs to be pain and suffering and loss in order to make your story meaningful. For example, again in Lord of the Rings, when Frodo returns to the Shire, he feels the pain of the sword-stab he received on Weathertop. In the end, the pain of his wounds (physical and, perhaps, spiritual) makes him decide to leave Middle-Earth forever.

3. Modern Medicine
Pros: Using modern medicine like painkillers and antibiotics and stitches is quite an unusual choice for a fantasy story. Because it's so rare, it's always very interesting. And, too, if you introduce some sort of epidemic like the plague, then modern medicine can offer quite effective cures. In an old version of a fantasy story I was writing, teens from earth get transported to another world, and they are carrying modern medicines that they use in the story.

Cons: Obviously, modern medicine would not work in every novel. Some fantasies are so historical in nature that using modern medicine would be out of place. However, sometimes you can borrow concepts and ideas from modern medicine and translate them into your story in ways that would work. Also, don't forget that modern medicine requires a whole lot of training. To become a doctor or a nurse, you need to go through years and years of rigorous schooling. Even in a fantasy story, don't cut corners--make your healers work for their medical skill.


Medicine and healing in fantasy is such a broad topic that one blog post can't begin to cover everything.  What about medical schools? Hospitals? Apprenticeships? Well, maybe that will be a post for another day. In the meantime, let me know what type of healing you use in your own stories or particular forms of medicine you've noticed in other books. Stay healthy, and keep writing!


10 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I hope your arm heals quickly. Aren't you glad you live in a modern age where the standard method of treating infection is not amputation! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gillian! I'm definitely glad I don't need to rely on sketchy Medieval medical practices!

      Delete
  2. In one story I was writing quite a while ago, I had a character wake up in an infirmery tent. It was after a battle, so there were many wounded soldiers there. It was also very dirty, they had limited medical equipment, and if one of the characters got an infection, they had a slim chance of surviving. The story was set in a medival-type world, so medical knowledge was limited, and these people didn't know about the spread of germs either. I think an author should look up the healing practices of the time period they're writing about. A lot of people didn't survive getting sick or injured back then because of the lack of knowledge. Adding some actual cures or the steps they used for surgeries could make a story more believable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a very realistic situation. Great work researching it! I agree; I think it adds so much detail and authenticity to a story if the healing practices are really in sync with the rest of the story. Great thoughts, thanks!

      Delete
  3. As always… great post, my friend. I’m so sorry you are not feeling so well and went through surgery… that’s never fun! I’ll be lifting you in prayer for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I definitely appreciate your prayers :) I'm fast-mending, and very grateful for modern medicine!

      Delete
  4. In my fantasy book both herbs and magic are used. But I am very careful to make sure that only trained people actually use the herbs or the magic, and as magic cure-alls annoy me no end, I'm working on making sure that magic has limits. Now I just need to learn more about the herb side of things. The magic is the easy part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good system...although I don't know about magic being the easy part! It's all in the details, as I always say. Very cool!

      Delete
  5. I hope you heal quickly. Most the medicine is done by magic in my current fantasy, but this is still a great post!
    Guess what! I've nominated you for the Liebster award. Head over to my blog to check it out! http://inklinedwriters.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ~Sarah Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, for the award! I went ahead and commented my answers on your blog :)

      Delete

Please remember to post graciously, whether or not you agree with the post.

Proverbs 15:1
"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."